Thursday, September 3, 2009

Slow down my ranting

The techy part of this BOOK should supposedly be the easiest part for me, because that's what I do. I joked all the time during our workshops, that I can finish a SWARS for pretty much any of the islands in a couple of hours, from start to finishing the metadata. That "joke" wouldn't be too far off from the truth. But, often times, however, explaning what you are good at to a wider audience is a lot more difficult than it looks.

We simply take too much for granted for what we are familiar with. Sometimes, when I ask my firends working in the valley for help, I just have to tell them to slow down. There is nothing embarrasing about that.

12 years of expeirence does make a difference. For 12 years I have been using GIS software, especially the ESRI product. That sometimes makes me think too easily that everybody should just already know something in ArcGIS, which of course is not true. Slowing it down is always good.

To prepare this exercise, I have run the analysis a couple of times already, trying various options and combinations. Remember, I keep emphasizing that there are almost always multiple choices to accomplish a task in ArcGIS and there is often no right or wrong chosing any. So, the procedure I present here is what I think is appropriate and perhaps more importantly, smooth.

Videos will be made available to accompany the document. Nothing is more effective, when it comes to learning how to use a software, than simply watching others do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment